Sunday, September 25, 2011

Burg Hohenwerfen

Situated high on a 155 meter cliff in the Salzach valley, Burg Hohenwerfen is a fortress built between 1075 and 1078. Hohenwerfen has served as a military base as well as a residential and hunting retreat for Salburg's rulers. It even served as a prison for many centuries. Rulers such as Archbishop Adalbert III (1198), Graf Albert von Friesach (1253), the Styrian governor Siegmund (1525) and Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau (1611) were held captive here.

Today, the castle is home to the historical Salzburg Falconry Center. Impressive falconry flight displays included vultures, red kites, falcons and other birds of prey. Try to keep track as many of the birds fly around the castle and surrounding Tennengebirge mountains.



The weapons museum with 700 years of melee weapons and firearms is also quite interesting to visit while at the castle.

Pin It